Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Jump to Conclusions Mets

Before watching the Phillies and Mets do battle over the weekend, I was watching one of my all-time favorite movies, Office Space.  And one of the scenes in the movie made me think of one of the most endearing qualities of New York fans, especially the Mets fans.

Ever since the Mets started resembling more of a baseball team again, it seems like all of their fans have come out of hiding.  I can't fault them for their lack of interest in a subpar team, as I would be less cavalier about the Phillies if they were awful.  But what can be said about many Mets fans, especially those that I know personally, is that they love to jump to conclusions.



One of their favorite players to get behind is Mike Pelfrey, the embattled starting pitcher, who is fresh off a season in which his ERA was north of 5.00.  Still, the big right-hander has had a solid start to the season, which has led some to anoint him as the co-ace of their staff.  Even before the Phillies lit him up, I disagreed with this opinion.



But the Mets fans are eager to forget the days when they wanted to be the 'team to beat.'  Even back in 2007, it seemed like the New Yorkers struggled for originality.  So it got me to thinking, what original thoughts might be on a Mets' Jump to Conclusions Mat, in light of their recent success.  Fortunately for me, I didn't have to think of anything witty or creative; the Mets fans handled that for me.  The following are some original quotes that I have heard or overheard from Mets fans this year:

"The Mets already have this division [National League East] locked up, it's no contest."

"Ike Davis reminds me of Adrian Gonzalez.  In fact, he might already be better than him."

"[Jerry] Manuel is doing such a great job without much talent.  He has to win Manager of the Year."

"You'd be hard-pressed to find a better one-two combination than Santana-Pelfrey."

"Looks like we're headed to another Subway Series!"

Now I had planned on rebutting some of those remarks, both to their authors and here on this blog.  But really, there isn't much to say.  It's great to support your team and have confidence.  And I'm excited that perhaps there will be a rivalry again.  But for some reason, I just can't talk to a Mets fan without bursting into uncontrollable laughter.  I believe the square that Mets fans should be looking for is that big green one in the middle.

Think again.

No comments:

Post a Comment